Hand Building Basics
A comprehensive program for creating 12 hand-built ceramic projects in the comfort of your own home or studio spaces.
Participants should have kiln access to get the most out of this course.
The Hand Building Basics online course offers you a way to learn at your own pace, in a flipped classroom model with instructional videos including all the hand-building techniques and projects lesson. Your learning will be supported by instructor-led LIVE Q&A sessions, a private Facebook Group, and Accountability Partners/Pods. Both instructor and peer feedback will keep you motivated the whole way through.
...you’re in the right place and I’m going to tell you exactly how Hand Building Basics will give you the tools, inspiration, and unparalleled support on your journey to creating with clay in your home.
By the end of this program, you will have:
- Discovered why getting your hands in your clay on a regular basis improves your mental health, and builds stamina and hope.
- Developed a quick set up and tear down for your temporary studio space and/or added studio efficiencies to your studio space while learning what to do with the clay at all stages.
- Discovered how to keep yourself and others safe in your home studio.
- Discovered ways to control drying time so you can work when you want.
- Discovered your ideal learning Pathway: Set or Free Choice.
- Learned 6 different sculptural and ceramic techniques.
- Watched the videos that introduce each of the 6 techniques
- Watched the timelapse videos for each of the 6 Set projects.
- Understood and used the Creative Process for each project.
- Reinforced your learning by creating each project using the PDF instructions, templates, and videos for support as needed.
- Learned to draw from references and apply them to three dimensions.
- Repeated the mantra “practice makes better” through repeating processes to build muscle memory so you can rely on your new technical skills in the future.
- Learned to verbally articulate your taste for visual aesthetics.
- Given and received feedback on your own and others’ work.
- Made some friends.
- Immediate access to the Welcome Module to get familiar with the course setup.
- Bonus goodies to prepare your studio spaces will be available on registration.
- Access to the Private Facebook Group.
- Opportunity to find Accountability Partners/Pods as of Jan 31.
- Each of the 6 Modules is added on a Wednesday starting October 5th with the exception of the 2 Implementation Weeks to catch up or rest, one in the middle at week 4 and one at the end at week 8.
- 3 Live Q&A Sessions over Zoom: Times TBA based on participants' time zones.
Recorded Q&A session uploaded to the course site the next day so you never miss out.
- Welcome Module: Immediate
- Bonuses: Immediate
- Private Facebook Group Access: Immediate
- Zoom Session #1: Jan 31 @ 7pm EST
- Accountability Partner Access: Jan 31
- Module 1: Feb 1
- Module 2: Feb 8
- Module 3: Feb 15
- Implementation Week: Feb 22
- Zoom Session #2: Feb 28 @ 7pm/TBD
- Module 4: Mar 1
- Module 5: Mar 8
- Module 6: Mar 15
- Implementation Week: Mar 22
Zoom Session #3: Mar 28 @ 7pm/TBD
“Jacquie has different entry points for everyone whether you're a beginner or you have more experience in clay. The recorded lessons were easy to follow and the Q&A access in the Facebook Group and Live Sessions made it a breeze to ask questions and seek guidance along the way. The resources were detailed and were great references while I worked. Jacquie has created so many engaging projects to work on for all to enjoy. ”
“Jacquie did a great job of explaining each step that was involved in the live virtual demonstration! The linoblock printing method on clay was entirely new to me. The online delivery was helpful for someone like myself who was not familiar with the printmaking process and the recording and accompanying PDF Instructions helped me understand what was required to achieve the best results. ”CATHERINE RYAN
“I have been fascinated with clay and have been following Jacquie’s work for a long time. This was my first opportunity to get my hands into clay. I signed up for the online Conquer Stress with Clay workshop with Jacquie. Despite it being online, never once did I feel that I fell short of guidance and direction. Jacquie took us along effortlessly as she went about teaching the techniques, encouraging us along the way, and applauding each effort. The workshop lived up to its name! I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and am already looking out for her next one. ”GURPREET NAIN
6 Modules - Showing literally EVERYTHING you need to do to turn your clay into 12 hand built masterpieces.
- More than 18 Lessons (at least 3 per module).
- Each Lesson includes Play & Pause Videos.
- Each Module contains a Set Project with PDF Instructions and Templates.
- Each Module allows for Free Choice following a Project Plan with technical and design objectives.
- A Ceramics Supplies Lists for Beginners and Beyond Beginners.
- Advice for your Home Studio Set-up including Studio Safety and Waste Management - including Damp boxes and Drywall Board Prep - so you can start smart, work smart, and stay safe!
- Clarity about the Elements and Principles of Design in historical and contemporary examples as well as how to attain them in your own work.
- An ongoing comprehensive breakdown of The Creative Process and how to use it to develop your own work.
- Advice on managing The Ceramics Process throughout each project including a comprehensive plan for drying work prior to bisque firing. PS. It's harder than you'd think.
- You’ll be given access to one module per implementation week to have ample time to dive into the lessons and execute the project BEFORE moving on to the next module.
- The set weekly release is to protect your time, attention, and focus while sparing you from the intense overwhelm that can stop some online learners in their tracks.
- If one project a week is perfect for you, you'll take the Set or the Free Choice Pathway.
- If you want two projects per week, complete both the Set and the Free Choice Pathways each week.
- You have Lifetime Access so, if you aim to complete one project per module, don't forget that you can always come back to complete another project in the other pathways later.
1 - Sculptural Modelling
2 - Kurinuki Carving
3 - Pinch Pots
4 - Coil Construction
5 - Textural Slabs
6 - Crafting Combos
8 Weeks Q&A access to Jacquie$200 value
You'll have access to ongoing help through the private Hand Building Basics Facebook Course Community for Members Only. You'll be able to connect with each other here too! Join early to get access to each other. PS When the course is completed you will still have access to each other within the Alumni Facebook Group and you'll still be able to ask me questions.
3 Live Q& A Zoom Sessions$300 value
Zoom Sessions will be 1-2 hours each depending on your needs. Send in questions ahead of time or ask during the sessions. Recordings of each Zoom Session will be added to your dashboard the next day. The first session will be Tuesday, Oct 4 at 7 pm EST. The times for the other two sessions will be determined when we meet on Oct 4. If we are all in the same time zone we can choose a consistent time. If we are in different time zones I suggest mixing it up a bit. I'm in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada which is in EST. I am available at 1 pm, 4 pm, or 7 pm on Tuesdays.
Some of us work really well on our own. Some of us like moral support. Some of us like the comradery of community. No matter which type of learner you are, having a buddy to bounce ideas around with will help you grow. Accountability Partners/Pods allow you to buddy up with 1 to 4 classmates and commit to helping each other reach your goals. Great for accountability, motivation, and feedback.
Elements & Principles of Design Glossaries AND Posters$100 value
The Glossaries give you understanding at a glance with terms broken down to key essentials. The Posters illustrate the dominant elements and Principles. The images will give you a quick visual boost when considering designs. PS. These are the glossaries I fine-tuned over 30 years of teaching.
The Creative Process AND Stages of Ceramics Posters$50 value
These two Posters will help you understand the steps of the Creative Process and the Stages of Ceramics with text and imagery for each step.
Studio Set Up AND Waste Management PDFs$50 value
These two PDFs will help you set up your portable studio and keep you safe while protecting the environment.
Let me say this upfront.
I've put my heart and soul into this course. I initially interviewed potential students to see how I could meet their needs and then after running the course last winter I interviewed the participants and tweaked the course even more.
Hand Building Basics has been designed to give you the best learning experience you could have while working in your home with some new friends and me along for the journey.
Our ceramics community is filled with lifelong learners and our communal knowledge grows with the generosity of other potters. When you join, you will be part of the special group.
Now here’s the kicker.
By the end of these 14 days, you’ll have received access to the Welcome Module, as well as Module 1 and 2 including the projects, meaning you’ll have had the opportunity to test drive your clay journey BEFORE making a final commitment. If you don’t feel totally confident and motivated by your experience (and your ability to learn in this way) simply reach out, show me you’ve put in the work, and I'll refund your investment.
Take a photograph of your workspace with the reference images or sketches and your completed Project for Module 1 and let me know where the program fell short for you, so I can be sure to make adjustments or clarify student understanding in the future.
Can I take this course if I don't have access to a kiln?
To fully complete the work you will need access to a kiln. If you don't have access to a kiln look on kilnshare.com to see if there is anyone near you who rents out kiln space. Look up private pottery studios, pottery guilds, and community centers to see if they have kiln rentals or communal firings. Join pottery-related Facebook Groups like Clay Buddies to ask for suggestions.
I’m fairly new to ceramics. Is this going to be too advanced for me?
This is so exciting, I am truly excited for you! This is a beginner course. You will quickly learn the basic techniques needed for each module when I break the skills down into manageable and repeatable bits. Remember, each module will have two projects. The Set Project is designed for people who want to be led each step of the way with a specific theme and imagery. The Free Choice Project is designed for people who want to take the technical skills and knowledge and solidify their learning with their own theme and imagery within the recommended parameters.
I am not sure if I have time to do this. What is the time commitment?
It will take you about 1 hour a week to watch the videos and 3 hours to complete the Set Project or 3-6 hours to complete the Free Choice project each week.
I am not sure online learning is for me, what if I buy it and can’t learn this way?
You will have a 14-day money-back guarantee. Lessons will include How-To Videos, PDF Instructions, and templates for each project and will be accompanied by support from Jacquie in the Private Facebook Group and in the LIVE Zoom Sessions. I hope you take advantage of ALL that is offered so that you discover the benefits and advantages of online learning.
Do I need existing tech skills to pull this off?
I will be teaching you hand-building TECH skills and any other TECH skills needed to navigate the computer platforms we will use. The Handouts and Templates will be formatted as PDFs so you should be able to open them up easily on any computer. We'll be using Facebook, Zoom & the teaching platform Thinkific.
Will Jacquie be available and accessible to answer questions if I get stuck?
When you register for the course you will have 8 weeks of Q&A access to Jacquie inside the private Hand Building Basics Facebook Course Community for Members Only and questions can also be asked within the LIVE Zoom sessions. Of course, in case of an emergency, you can contact Jacquie through email but she will be putting all her efforts into meeting your needs in the Facebook Group and in the LIVE Zoom Sessions.
Will I need to invest in any other training to create the projects?
This is all the investment you will need, other than a box of clay and your beginner ceramics supplies, and some home studio supplies if you are new to this hobby. For a complete guide to Ceramics Supplies for Beginners and Beyond Beginners be sure to join my email mailing list at www.jacquieblondin.com and in the welcome email you will receive a PDF List with hyperlinks and images.
I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the things I’m going to need to learn and execute inside this program. Are you sure I can do all of this?
Absolutely, I will guide you through each new technique with demonstrations that you can practice on your own or alongside me in the videos. When you go to create each project you will have PDF Step-By-Step Instructions so you don’t miss a step. You’ll have access to Play & Pause Videos that you can watch over and over again. Don’t forget I’ll resolve any questions you may have in the Facebook Group and in the LIVE Zoom sessions.
When I join the Hand Building Basics course, will I be getting immediate access to all the lessons and modules?
I am glad you are excited to see everything that I have created for you, but I know from experience that “LESS is MORE”, meaning you'll be receiving one module per week, except in the Implementation/Catch-Up Weeks. You will, however, have immediate access to the Welcome Module and other bonuses. This will help to keep you on track and avoid overwhelm. I am aiming for your COMPLETE SUCCESS and want you to be focused on one module at a time, in sequence, so your skills build throughout the program.
You should give Hand Building Basics a 14-day risk-free shot if you've motivated by any of the following:
You want your life back…like…
Whether it's a super demanding day job, or busy home life as a partner, parent, or caregiver, you're fully aware that you don't have the time, energy, or location you TRULY need to be living your best life.
More importantly, you'd prefer not to spend the rest of your life flirting with burnout while chanting the mantra, "I don't have time", every time something fun or exciting pops up.
That's why you're motivated beyond measure to invest the 2 months in taking the "ME TIME" you deserve; to create the masterpieces you know you were born to create; in boosting your ENERGY with feelings of joy, with a spring in your step as you accomplish purposeful creative projects; and claim a LOCATION for your portable or permanent home studio.
You can do this!
I've got your back!
Creating ceramics has literally transformed my life.
I’ve experienced first hand what it feels like to transition from an overworked mom with a demanding career, to being fulfilled at the deepest level by clay.
More than anything else, I want to share that with you today.
If you're a person looking for something meaningful to do or a parent or caregiver with too many obligations to count, you owe it to yourself to at least take a risk-free plunge to see what your life as a clay creator looks like.
To experience firsthand what setting time and location for a creative clay practice can do for your energy and mood, and to take real, tangible steps to transform your life.
Should you choose to accept my invitation, I personally guarantee that these next 8 weeks will be completely and utterly life-changing for you.
I look forward to meeting you personally inside Hand Building Basics.